Leading vet urges pet owners in Lanarkshire to be vigilant following antifreeze poisonings

A leading vet has urged pet owners in Lanarkshire to be vigilant following reports of antifreeze poisonings in Lanarkshire and Glasgow.

oct17 ross allan

The warning comes in the wake of a recent cat poisoning in Caldercruix, Airdrie, which itself followed a recent alert from a dog owner in Glasgow who reported that large amounts of antifreeze have been poured around the Partick and Mansefield areas of the city.

The Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital partner Ross Allan, the 2017 BSAVA Melton Award winner for contributions to small animal practice, said: “Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is one of the more common causes of poisoning in dogs and cats, which can be attracted by its sweet taste. The liquid is also typically colourless and odourless, making it especially hard for humans to detect, and dangerous to pets.

“Sadly, by the time the symptoms appear: vomiting, diarrhoea and ‘drunken’ appearance, often rapidly progressing to potentially catastrophic renal failure, it can be too late to treat successfully. I’d therefore urge dog and cat owners in Lanarkshire and Glasgow to securely store these chemicals if they have them within their household, well away from pets, and to be on the alert over the winter months in particular.”

Anyone with information is being urged to contact the SSPCA animal helpline on 03000 999 999. The Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital in Glasgow’s southside is part of The Pets’n’Vets Family, the network of veterinary practices with surgeries around Glasgow and surrounding areas.

ENDS

For further information please contact Ross Allan at tel 0141 649 4949

Issued on behalf of The Pets’n’Vets Family by Liquorice Media tel 0141 297 1699 www.liquorice-media.com

Date: 13 October 2017